November 28, 2013

I Am The Frump

The other day I went to morning tea with Jules Sebastian to launch her new online styling service Styled By Jules. (She was divine. DIVINE I tell you. Down to earth and warm and gorgeous and didn't laugh when I licked the jam off my finger.)

Now, I am far from a fashion blogger. I am far from a fashion person, fullstop. I am so far from a fashion person that I was once asked to speak on a panel entitled 'From Fashionista to Frump' as... wait for it... the frump. (Deborah Thomas was the fashionista. I liked her outfit.)

Which leads me to think that I was invited to the launch of Jules's site because I am so tragically in need of styling. Aside from being outfitted for a couple of photo shoots (in outfits I didn't feel comfortable in, mainly because they were being held together at the back with bulldog clips) I have never had professional advice about my wardrobe. As a result, I tend to wear the same kind of thing day in day out.

Nine times out of ten if you see me in the street I will be wearing blue jeans with some sort of loose flowy top. I have tried to wear 'pants' - you know, proper 'trouser' type things - but they never, ever feel right. I stick to blue jeans and then more blue jeans, with the occasional black jeans thrown in for excitement. But only very occasionally. I wouldn't want to disturb the equilibrium.

And that's pretty much my wardrobe


And if it's really hot I will wear a dress. Short, shift dresses. Always short shift dresses. Because god knows what would happen if I wore a long dress. Or an a line dress. Or.... god forbid... a skirt and top.

I know that lots of women love shopping, and in a sense I do, too. But I think that my idea of shopping is slightly different to theirs. Women (correct me if I'm wrong) tend to shop in order to find new and thrilling clothes to complement and transform their wardrobe. I shop in order to find more of exactly the same things I already have, because anything else is scary and I don't like being pushed out of my comfort zone.

So clearly I am in need of styling, and perhaps Jules will be the one to do it. And that's cool, because she was wearing a short, shift dress at her launch. Which means she and I obviously have a lot in common.

Do you wear the same things all the time??? Or are you exciting and adventurous???

24 comments:

  1. I think we must be twins separated at birth... hate shopping, but especially hate shopping for clothes.... I just like to wear shorts and t-shirts in summer, jeans and t-shirts in winter... they have to be cotton... no synthetic... I do like bright colours though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate clothes shopping. I always end up on suicide watch afterwards. Appallingly depressing. I don't do it often. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear the same thing all the time. I continue to buy the same pair of jeans over and over. If they ever discontinue them I will be lost! Lost, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to write a post about what the hell you wear to the launch of a styling site. But I couldn't get my fingers out my onesie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear the same thing ALL the time -- jeans and a shirt, usually a t-shirt much to the annoyance of my mum and sisters. But, I'm comfortable. That said, I take great delight in visiting http://gofugyourself.com/ -- I can appreciate a beautiful outfit and laugh at the ones that make my jeans and t-shirt look awesome before I go out and buy another t-shirt. It's strangely therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a new mum, my wardrobe is full of work/not child/not breast feeding friendly clothes :( I'd love to be shown how I can maximise the pieces that I already have and what I should be picking now I am a mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frump all the way. I own nice and varied clothes, most of them 10 years old because I only wear them once or twice a year. The rest of the time, fitted t-shirts and 4 or 5 trousers/skirts/shorts on rotate depending on the weather. My mother has me so well trained to keep my 'good' clothes for special occasions that I have become a dag by default.
    I should add that I haven't lived with my mother since I was 21 and she is now 2 states away but the influence continues...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the eastern beaches. All one really needs around these parts is a pair of shorts and a tank top - the boys even less. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funnily enough I don't mind shoe shopping as much as other shopping. Probably because I don't need to get undressed! Having said that, all my shoes look the same, too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. We so don't need styling. WE HAVE ONESIES!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had 3 of the same pair of jeans. Was DEVASTATED when they discontinued them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait until you get to 60 and can't find more of exactly the same things you already have. It's really depressing. My cotton blouse brand changed their fit and look a few years ago and I panicked. Fortunately they've brought some of their staples back. An entire suitcase disappeared a year ago between Brisbane and Hong Kong and it contained my best-loved clothes. I still haven't got over it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you add to that list - clothes that don't need ironing (or minimal) and, ideating, dry-cleaning? Because that's my criteria too - ain't got time for that! Does tend to mean things start to look very similar though ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. And, ONE day, I will post something without a typo - one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wardrobe looks exactly the same. Wearing black jeans is as adventurous as it gets these days. Ever since I didn't have to work in an office and dress smartly every day my styling has gone out the window. I stick to the same brand of jeans because I can buy them online. If they ever discontinue them I will be lost!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're lucky you can wear short shift dresses, Kerri. I'm skinny with wide shoulders and I'm pretty sure every short shift dress I've ever tried on has made me look like a lumberjack in drag. Back to the short-n-tshirt. Luckily I live in Tassie, so it's rarely so hot I can't wear almost-jeans and a not-quite tshirt for going out. Every now and then I find something outrageous in an opshop and actually buy and wear it. The last one was a plain black leather jacket to go with my first ever winter skirt and boots. And that's my problem with winter clothes, I buy black because it goes with everything and 'surprise' now ALL my winter clothes are black. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Except for the jeans. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I take my 19 year-old daughter with me and give her strict instructions NOT to let me go home/have a coffee/whatever until we've bought what's needed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My wardrobe is all jeans and shirts with some short dresses thrown in. I only wear pants to work and could not stand to wear them out socially, it would be like wearing your school uniform on the weekend! Though I have stretched out (literally) into the maxi dress as its so comfy and hides the hairy stubble in summer. BTW, you are no frump, fellow dag maybe, but no frump!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the same problem re: shoes. They're all flat. And mostly Sketchers,lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Love hearing from you.

Like it? Share it!