Since then, I have been living life as a single mother of three, and contemplating the pros and cons thereof. And though it has only been just over 24 hours, I believe I have a pretty good handle on things.
No Husband: The Pros
- I do not have to cook dinner for my husband, and so I am (hypothetically) free to feed the kids sausages, and myself vast quantities of chocolate covered rasberry licorice followed by, ahem, cheese.
- There will be a lot less laundry.
- There will be a lot less arguments.
- I can sleep soundly without being woken by my husband's regular 2am nose-blowing session.
- There will be no piles of horrid tissues next to my husband's side of the bed in the morning as there will be no 2am nose-blowing sessions.
- I can get into bed with a pore cleansing strip on my nose without my husband recoiling in horror and yelling 'My eyes! My eyes!'
- I can lounge on my bed in my undies without any expectation of sex.
- I can lounge on my bed in my undies and a pore cleansing strip without my husband saying 'Oh for gods sake, make up your mind.'
- I do not have to wait for the shower so I won't be late getting the kids to school.
- I can watch whatever I want on TV without my husband grabbing the remote and switching channels every single commercial break.
- I can leave mess everywhere without my husband coming home and asking what I 'did all day'.
|Tomorrow night's dinner|
- I do not have to cook dinner for my husband and so I can (er... 'hypothetically') feed myself vast quantities of chocolate covered rasberry licorice followed by cheese. This is probably not an ideal way to eat in the long run.
- I have to take all three kids to school.
- I have to take Boo to swimming lessons in the wee-wee infested waters.
- I have to take the rubbish out. Or would have, if I'd remembered to do so last night. Woops.
- I get nervous without a big, strong man in bed with me in case of emergency. Except that my husband isn't big or strong, and he'd probably sleep through it anyway, so that doesn't really count.
- I don't have to wait for the shower so when I get the kids to school late I can't blame it on their father.
- There is no-one on whom to warm my feet before sleep.
- There will be a lot less laughing.
- I kind of miss him.