August 27, 2012

In Bed With Mablogga

There is a great line in the 1991 documentary "In Bed With Madonna" (also titled "Truth or Dare") in which Madonna's soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend Warren Beatty comments on her refusal to speak off camera.

"She doesn't want to live off-camera, much less talk," he says. "There's nothing to say off-camera. Why would you say something if it's off-camera? What point is there existing?"

I've always remembered that line, even though it had nothing to do with my life whatsoever, as the only person interested in taking my picture at the time was my mum. But somehow it stuck with me, and now, twenty-one years later, it resonates more than ever.


Because yesterday I was at a writer's festival, and two hilariously funny things happened. One took place at a session in which I was in the audience; another took place at a session in which I was on the panel. You would love these anecdotes, I can guarantee it. But I can't tell you anything about thenm because the other people involved in these incidents might read this blog and be embarrassed, and I wouldn't want that at all.

It is killing me that I can't tell you. It's eating away at me as I write. I've told several people - my husband, my mum, five friends, and a teacher at pre-school who didn't seem at all interested - but I can't tell you. I can't blog about it. And that makes me feel deeply frustrated.

So I realise, to my horror, that I am just like Madonna. In fact, to paraphrase the ever-cool Wazza:

I don't want to live off-blog, much less talk. There's nothing to say off-blog. Why would you say something if it's off-blog? What point is there existing?

Can you relate?

12 comments:

  1. In the photo world, they do say "photo - or it never happened"...so, really, "blog - or it never happened" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL most certainly can! What's the point of great material (and let's face it, funny anecdotes are the best blogger material) if you can't actually use it?
    Which is why I regret telling my family I blog. And sending them the link. And insisting they 'follow' me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ring me by 9. 9:30 latest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a new affliction sweeping the Western World - blogoholism. Here are 10 signs that you are addicted to blogs!
    http://mum-abulous.com/2012/08/27/addicted-to-blogs/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been considering starting a second, anonymous blog just so I can say all of the things that I really want to say but have been holding back on for fear of embarrassing people, or really, embarrassing myself. Oh to be able to speak without judgement or repercussion, YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, so hear you. I'm almost thinking of giving it up because the stuff I want to say would offend almost everyone (new) that I know. My old mates would say "meh, there's she goes again!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I SO get this. Mostly my blogs are about myself (it's all about me, me, me!) but every so often I want to relay some experience but have to stop myself cos it's not my story to tell. And I hate that!
    I'm particularly careful about work stuff or my opinion about stuff related to my work. Alas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Love hearing from you.

Like it? Share it!